Previews - Multi Platform
Written by Eric Dionne Friday, January 07 2011 12:40
Which version of the new Mortal Kombat game is the right one for you come April? Here I give a quick rundown of the benefits to each version, plus the location you may want to pre-order it thanks to exclusive pre-order gifts. So if you love Mortal Kombat and want to make sure you choose wisely, come in and have a look...
Now there are more choices than you might think when picking up your copy of Mortal Kombat. One of the first choices I'll let you know about are the pre-order bonuses. These are based on the retailer, and come with any version of the game. Not only do you get a classic costume for one of your 3 favorite ninjas, but you also get a DLC fatality with it. This seems to be how at least one alternate costume will be for the characters in this game, and I say a fatality with a costume is a cool idea...even if we should just have it in the game already.
Amazon.com - DLC code for the Klassic Reptile ninja outfit and fatality
Now, one can assume this classic fatality is his standard "head eat" fatality from MK 2, but no proof has been shown in video form as of yet.
Gamestop - DLC code for the Klassic Scorpion ninja outfit and fatality
I assume the fatality is his classic "burn you alive by spitting fire at you" finisher. On top of this, Gamestop also gives you:
"Exclusive access to the Mortal Kombat Widget. Once downloaded, the Mortal Kombat Widget gives you access to the most recent videos, screenshots and news about the upcoming Mortal Kombat title. You'll also receive GameStop exclusive access to the Scorpion Fatality Video" - Gamestop.com
Best Buy - DLC code for the Klassic Sub-Zero ninja outfit and fatality
This finisher has been confirmed thanks to the following video:
It is the good old head rip with the spine attached move. All I can say is badass. Now I couldn't find a picture of him, but it's safe to assume it looks like Reptile and Scorpion up there. I think the video of the fatality is much better anyway. This is where I'll be preordering my game from thanks to gift cards and coupons, but you all can now make your decisions on where to preorder. Just so you know, Best Buy currently only shows the regular edition of the game on their site, but I am hopeful they'll have all of them as we get closer to release late April.
Which version is right for you?
Standard Edition - This is it, the standard game.
- MSRP $59.99 - Available for Xbox 360 and PS3
Kollector's Edition - Here's where things get interesting:
- A copy of the game itself
- Kollectible figurines of Scorpion and Sub-Zero that double up as video game ‘bookends’ for your favorite Mortal Kombat games. Hand sculpted with high level of detail
- Decorated using an artful combination of spray mask, tampo print, free spray and hand washes.
- The Art of Mortal Kombat. A 110+ page book featuring original concept sketches and game art from the 2011 version of Mortal Kombat.
- Retro-Ninja costume - Exclusive alternate in-game costume inspired by the original character designs.
- Customize your Xbox LIVE avatar with Mortal Kombat costumes and challenge your friends in our new King of the Hill online mode.
- MSRP $$99.99 - Available for Xbox 360 and PS3
Tournament Edition - This is the big daddy right here:
- Contains everything in the Kollector's edition of Mortal Kombat [UPDATE] Since the publishing of this article, GameStop has removed this part of the description. We are currently reaching out to get more information on this.
- Mortal Kombat Fight Stick with High quality, authentic Suzo Happ arcade parts for the ultimate in performance.
- Designed exclusively by NetherRealm Studios and inspired by the wooden arcade cabinets from the golden age of gaming
- Features the classic Mortal Kombat ergonomic button layout to best optimize game play.
- Memory foam underside for comfortable lap use and a flip open lid for easy arcade part customization access and storage.
The last and final choice to make here is whether to get the PS3 or Xbox 360 version. The only true difference besides the PS3's 3D functionality right now is that PS3 also gets Kratos as a playable character. Yes, the Ghost of Sparta himself will be taking on our favorite MK fighters. As of now the Xbox 360 gets no such exclusive character, which could change. Sadly, my money is on 360 getting nothing. This way, they know the sales for PS3 versions will be higher with Kratos being on there, since the PS3 version of games tend to not sell nearly as well as their 360 counterparts.
Here's a video showing some magazine scans of Kratos. They also officially confirm Jax, Sonya Blade, Sindel, and Ermac. Stay tuned in March for my official Mortal Kombat Preview. Enjoy!